Today was a little bit more relaxed compared to the adventures of yesterday. We were able to sleep in until 9:00 which was very nice. I can`t remember the last time we did that. We started the day with the biggest breakfast I have had in a long time, but oh so delcious. We were able to just relax for awhile since everyone was gone and someone needed to be here when our luggage finally arrived (apparently they deliver when they screw up where it was supposed to go :) The lady we are staying with, Abue, got home around 12:00 at which point we left with Titi (another member of our Mexican family....she is like a really good cousin) and Soni (our Mexican aunt). Our first stop was to some more of our Mexican family, Mari, Sergio, Cheetos, Cheetos wife, Abish, and Medi. We stayed about 30 minutes: we talked, ate some more, and talked some more. We then headed off to Santiago Tiangi Stanco to see a members family that Jared met back on the mission. We started at there house, but just Sergio (the brother in law) showed up and told us they were at their carnita resturant. We headed that way and I met a few more: Teri, Monse (her daughter), and her sister (the name escapes Jared). While we were there of course they offered us more food (which we happily accepted). They were actually the best tacos I have had so far.....yummy :) After visiting with them a while our search for the pantaloƱes began. I thought that we would be able to find some shorter pants here in Mexico so we search out a man who was well known for his pant making skills. After about 2 hours of getting different directions from everyone they talked to we pulled down a dirt road to a 3 story house, which is what we were told to look for. After about 5 minutes of trying to get someone`s attention two ferious rottweilers were let out the front door! Thank goodness there was an extra gate in front of the door to keep them from ripping us to shreds! We talked to the girl through another door and found out the house we were looking for was across the field. We started walking on the easiest path which was along the fence line, but apparently the owner of the side we were walking on did not want us there. So we jumped to the other side and started up the hill. After a few minutes we reached the house and found out we had finally reached the place. It was kind of weird because we had to walk through their house past the family to get to were the jeans were. I have never seen so many jeans in my life! The teenage girl who was helping us searched through a bunch of jeans until she found what Jared and I were looking for. We just wanted some basic jeans with out glitter, spadazzle, or pictures on the pockets. Lucky us they had what we wanted and they only cost $11 each so we both got 2 pairs. While the girl was searching I noticed some skirts hanging up on the line. I have been looking for a longer denim skirt for a long time and I finally got one....for only $9! I am coming shopping here more often. They were nice enough to let us try things on before we got them, but it was in a room with only half a door. The top half was open, but they did try to cover it....key word: try. We made it work and although they are not shorter in length they are good quality jeans for a lot less than we would spend in the US of A. We then travelled back to Abue`s house. The first thing we did when got back?.........we ate some more! I have never had so much food in one day in my life! And it is all very filling food. While we ate Pedro talked with us about some of the other stuff we will try to do while here. But the main focus was our trip to Tasco and some caves tomorrow! This one of the days I have been looking forward to. Tasco is a silver mining town and we are able to get almost 100% silver jewelry for super cheap. I will tell more about that tomorrow. We finished eating, talked some more, and then Jared decided that we need some more food so we headed down to the bakery for some sweet bread. Let me just mention that since Abue cannot see very well Jared was in charge of driving.....scary. It was even scarier since Abue was giving directions and at one point we headed down the one way road in the wrong direction. At that point I just close my eyes and pray that I live. After the bakery we took a little drive around Toluca, tried a couple of families homes, but no one was home and could not play. So we came back to Abue`s, Jared had hot chocolate and one of the sweet breads called orajas (ears). I personally could not get any more food down in my stomach. We sat around and talked for a while until our water was warm so we could shower. We then sat and typed this and now we are going to bed.........good night!!
PS-sorry, there are no pictures from this day. We kept forgetting we had the little thing in my purse.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Sounds like a great time! Your shopping trip is about as treacherous as a trip to the mall but the end result is cheaper.
Go onto my blog to see your quilt progress.
Post a Comment